ALERT- PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT ON CONTAMINATED CHEESES
Sargento Foods Inc. has issued a recall of seven cheeses due to a potential contamination of listeria monocytogenes. The company says no illnesses have been reported yet.
Listeriosis is a serious infection usually caused by eating food contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes.
An estimated 1,600 people get listeriosis each year, and about 260 die.
The infection is most likely to sicken pregnant women and their newborns, adults aged 65 or older, and people with weakened immune systems.
February 11, 2017 – Sargento Foods Inc. is closely monitoring and gathering information prompted by the Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC Longhorn Colby cheese recall. The supplier, based in Middlebury, Ind., notified Sargento Foods Inc. that a specialty Longhorn Colby cheese it supplied to Sargento must be recalled due to a potential contamination of Listeria monocytogenes. There are no confirmed illnesses.
Our valued consumers have been contacting us with their questions and concerns. We will continue to respond to our consumers and activate reimbursements. Please call 1-800-CHEESES (1-800-243-3737) or email us via the “Contact Us” page on Sargento.com. Phone calls will be answered from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Central Time); emails should get a response within 24 hours.
The recalled retail products are:
- Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, 6.84 oz., UPC 4610000228, with “Sell By” dates of “12APR17B” and “10MAY17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040041, with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “H12JUL17”
Out of an abundance of caution, Sargento also recalled the following products because they were packaged on the same line as the affected cheese:
- Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000109 with “Sell By” date of “11JUN17B”
- Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, 12 oz., UPC 4610000108 with “Sell By” dates of “12JUN17B”, “09JUL17B” and “10JUL17B”
- Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040002 with “Sell By” dates of “H14JUN17” and “F28JUN17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040014 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
- Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 4610040076 with “Sell By” date of “F05JUL17”
The recalled cheeses were packaged at our Plymouth, Wis. facility. No other Sargento branded products have been affected by this recall. Please use the “Search Product” tool below to find out if your cheese is affected.
Sargento is committed to food safety and the quality and integrity of our products. The safety of our consumers and our employees is our top priority at Sargento and at the very heart of all we do.
- UPC: 4610000228, 4610040041, 4610000109, 4610000108, 4610040002, 4610040014, 4610040076
- Date Code: 12APR17B, 10MAY17B, H14JUN17, H12JUL17, 11JUN17B, 09JUL17B, 10JUL17B, H14JUN17, F28JUN17, F05JUL17
- Size: 6.84 oz., 8 oz., 12 oz.
- Product Name: Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced Longhorn Colby, Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese, Sargento Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese, Sargento Sliced Pepper Jack Cheese, Sargento Chef Blends Shredded Taco Cheese, Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Colby-Jack Cheese, Sargento Off The Block Shredded Fine Cut Cheddar Jack Cheese
This is extremely important information and we urge you to share this with your friends and family.
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Please like and share on Facebook and Twitter!