ifty-eight people who were in Grenfell Tower when it erupted into an inferno are still missing and are presumed to be dead, significantly raising the death toll from previous numbers reported.

The public is furious and are demanding answers for how the blaze early Wednesday spread so quickly and trapped so many of the tower’s 600+ residents.

Protests were held in London as residents demanded support for those affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Thousands of angry Brits have stormed Kensington and Chelsea Town Hall as members of the public said the homeless needed help “right now!”

The crowd was heard chanting, “Justice for Grenfell”, along with “May must go” and “blood on your hands.”

It’s being reported by British media that contractors who renovated the 24-story high rise building used cheap, inferior and less flame-resistant type of exterior paneling on the building which would account for how rapidly the fire spread.

Police Commander Stuart Cundy said the number of 58, which was based on reports from the public, may rise and includes the 30 deaths that have already been confirmed. He says it will take weeks or longer to recover and identify all the dead at the charred building, Fox News reports.

“Sadly, at this time there are 58 people who we have been told were in the Grenfell Tower on the night that are missing, and therefore sadly, I have to assume that they are dead,” he said.

Cundy said there may have been other people in the tower that police are not aware of, which would add to the final death toll. He asked anyone who was in the tower and survived to contact police immediately.

Police say the harrowing search for remains had been paused Friday because of safety concerns at the blacked tower but has resumed. Cundy said emergency workers have now reached the top of the tower.

Cundy said police will investigate the tower’s refurbishment project, which experts believe may have left the building more vulnerable to a catastrophic blaze.

[…]

There is simmering anger in the multi-ethnic north Kensington area hit by the blaze, and public fury has been directed at senior government figures, including May, who was jeered Friday after she visited the fire community. Hundreds have been left homeless by the blaze, putting more pressure on officials in a city plagued by a chronic housing shortage.

Scuffles broke out near the Kensington and Chelsea town hall offices Friday as demonstrators chanting “We want justice!” surged toward the doors.

The government has promised a full public inquiry, but that has done little to a sense of frustration at the lack of information about how the fire moved so quickly to engulf the building.

From BBC

So far in the investigation:

  • Six victims have been provisionally identified by police
  • Three have been named so far, including Syrian refugee Mohammed Alhajali, 23., five-year-old Isaac Shawo, and artist Khadija Saye
  • Of those killed, one died in hospital
  • Nineteen people remain in hospital, 10 in critical care
  • A criminal investigation has been launched
  • UK councils are carrying out urgent reviews of their tower blocks, the Local Government Association says
  • A British Red Cross appeal is launched to raise money for those affected
  • The emergency number for people concerned about friends and family is 0800 0961 233

The fire broke out at the 24-storey block, which contained 120 one and two-bedroom flats, shortly before 01:00 BST on Wednesday.

It tore through all floors of the building and took more than 200 firefighters 24 hours to bring under control.

So tragic.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to our friends across the pond.

God bless.

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Nation In Distress!